- Extended Puppy Dog Pose: Uttana Shishosana
Also known in Yin Yoga as anahatasana or heart-melting pose, this cooling posture has numerous benefits:
- Releases tension in you upper arms, shoulders, and neck.
- Expands the whole front of your chest.
- Stretches out your abdominal muscles.
- Gently stimulates your back muscles in preparation for further backbends.
- Opens up your hips and stretches your hamstrings.
- Standing Forward Bend: Uttanasana
The Standing Forward Bend pose:
- Stretches your hips, hamstrings, and calves.
- Strengthens your thighs and knees.
- Massages your internal organs and helps improves digestion and cleanses mucous from the lungs.
- Relaxes you central nervous system and helps calm your mind
- Helps relieve stress
- Helps reduces headaches, fatigue, insomnia.
- Helps relieve symptoms of menopause and is therapeutic for osteoporosis.
- Half Standing Forward Bend: Ardha Uttanasana
Benefits of the Half Standing Forward Bend pose:
• Stretches your hips, hamstrings, calves, and low back.
• Strengthens your thighs and knees.
• Warms up your body and works on your core.
• A good preparation for any other forward bends in your practice, particularly downward dog.
- Hand Under Foot Pose: Padahastasana
Hand Under Foot Pose is a relaxing pose with many benefits:
- Lengthens the hamstrings, back body and wrists
- Relaxes the neck and shoulders
- Calms the mind
- Therapeutic for carpal tunnel syndrome
- Half Front Splits Pose: Ardha Hanumanasana
A perfect warm-up pose with many benefits:
- Stretches your hips, hamstrings, calves, and low back.
- Strengthens your hamstrings.
- A proper preparation for the full variation, Front Splits Pose.
- Increases awareness through the pelvic area.
- Relieves sciatica pain.
- Standing Wide-Legged Forward Bend Pose: Prasarita Padottanasana
Standing Wide-Legged Forward Bend Pose has several benefits:
- Stretches the groins, hamstrings and hips
- Calms the mind
- Decompresses the spine
- Relieves fatigue, mild depression and anxiety
- Pose Dedicated to the Sage Marichi I: Marichyasana I
This seemingly simple, yet challenging pose offers many benefits:
- Stretches the hips, hamstrings and shoulders
- Activates the abdominal organs
- Stimulates digestion and metabolism
- Seated Forward Bend: Paschimottanasana
Seated Forward Bend is a basic yet challenging pose with several benefits:
- Stretches the hamstrings, spine, and lower back
- Calms the mind, and relieves stress and anxiety
- Improves digestion
- Relieves symptoms of PMS and menopause
- Reduces fatigue
- Stimulates the liver, kidneys, ovaries, and uterus
- Dolphin Pose
Dolphin Pose is considered a forward bend and an inversion with many benefits:
- Strengthens the shoulders and arms
- Tones the abdominals
- Stretches the hamstrings
- Helps prepare the body for forearm balance
- Wide Seated Forward Bend Pose: Upavistha Konasana
- Stretches the adductor muscles of your groin
- Stretches your hamstring muscles
- Strengthens the supportive musculature of your spine
- Encourages activation of your core muscles
- Downward Facing Dog Pose: Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Elongates and releases tension from your spine
- Stretches your hamstrings, calves, arches, and hands
- Strengthens your arms, shoulders, and back
- Improves mobility of your digestive system
- Downward-Facing Dog is a mild inversion that calms the nervous system and helps relieve stress
- Bound Angle Pose: Baddha Konasana
Bound Angle pose is a classic forward bending yoga posture that offers numerous benefits. Bound Angle pose,
- Stretches and expands your inner thigh, groin and knee muscles.
- Stretches your lower back and upper gluteal muscles, when you are in the forward bend variation.
- Massages your abdominal organs and improves digestive circulation.
- Head to Knee Pose: Janu Sirsasana
As a forward bending yoga posture, Head to Knee Pose generates an array of nourishing benefits. The Head to Knee Pose:
- Stretches your spine, back muscles, hamstrings, and groins.
- Massages and stimulates your internal organs like the liver and kidneys.
- Improves digestion and helps heal gastric ailments.
- Calms the mind and central nervous system.