5 Ways to Jump Start Your Day
By Lindsey Little • December 3rd, 2012 • 7202 Views
Here are some healthy ways to kick start your day and provide you with long-lasting energy.
1. Drink warm water with fresh lemon juice immediately upon rising. Lemons are a great source of vitamin C and potassium, which provide a significant boost to your immune system. They are also an extremely alkaline food, which is key to successful weight loss and general good heath. Furthermore, lemons help to rid the body of toxins, thereby promoting good digestion and clear skin.
2. If you’re short on time, grab some fruit. Berries are especially high in antioxidants and have a lower sugar content than other types of fruit. Wait at least 30 minutes after eating to allow your body to fully digest the fruit, before eating anything else.
3. If you have 10 or 15 minutes, make a juice or a smoothie. You can put it in your travel mug and drink it on the way to work. Don’t forget to include greens in your juice or smoothie for an extra punch of vitamins and antioxidants.
4. Drink water liberally. Coconut water is also great for hydration. It contains natural electrolytes, similar to Gatorade but without all the added sugar and dyes.
5. Eat leftovers from the night before. Who says you have to eat cereal or eggs and bacon? Heat up some soup on a chilly morning or make a quick salad. Breakfast does not have to be heavy to do its job. In fact, it shouldn’t be. Avoid processed grains, things like bagels, toast, and english muffins. When everyone else hits that 2:00pm slump, you will still have gas left in the tank.
Lindsey Little is a health coach, trained at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in NYC. She is the founder of Have Less Be More, a nutrition and wellness coaching firm that helps people set and achieve their health goals. You can learn more about Lindsey here.