By Kreg Weiss, B HKin • June 23rd, 2007 • 2115 Views
Grasscycling is the process of recycling grass clippings by leaving them on your lawn. It saves times, reduces waste and leads to a deeper, healthier root system that increases your lawn’s resistance to disease, drought and insects.
Why should you grasscycle?
1) Improves lawn quality: the natural decay of grass clippings releases valuable nutrients, adds water-saving mulch and encourages natural soil aeration by earthworms
2 Saves time and work: a recent study found that homeowners who quit bagging their clippings saved an average of 35 minutes per mowing or 7 hours per season
3) Grass clippings are a free, high nitrogen fertilizer: when they decompose they release their nutrients back to the lawn and cause no polluting run-off, require no use of non-renewable resources and cause no damage to soil organisms
4) No need to spend tax dollars on land-filling grass: the cost of trucking grass clippings to landfill sites comes out of our taxes!
5) A great opportunity for homeowners to reduce their waste
6) All lawnmowers can do it!
For more information about grasscycling, including a discussion of myths about grasscycling and how grass clippings can be added to your compost visit the following website:
Kreg Weiss is a co-founder of My Yoga Online and certified Hatha Yoga Teacher. Several years ago, Kreg discovered yoga while teaching health and fitness. Yoga dramatically transformed Kreg's approach to teaching health and wellness as well as changed his personal life bringing new direction in finding physical, mental, and spiritual growth.