Utkatasana (Chair Pose) Yoga Pose
Posted on March 11th, 2010
Learn more about the benefits, contra-indications, modifications, and cautions in doing this yoga posture safely.
Benefits of Utkatasana (Chair Pose)
- Strengthens the hip flexor muscles: rectus femoris, psoas
- Strengthens the quadriceps in the front of the thighs, hamstrings in the back of the thighs, adductor muscles of the inner thighs, gluteus muscles of the hip
- Strengthens and stretches calf muscles
- Opens chest and shoulders
- Improves range of motion in ankles
- Increases proprioception (sense of position in space) in the feet
- Traditionally thought to stimulate the abdominal organs and heart
Read more about Utkatasana Yoga Pose
About Dr. Robin Armstrong
Dr. Robin Armstrong is a Vancouver chiropractor and yoga instructor. Robin blends her western knowledge gained from her experience as a chiropractor, with the ancient eastern knowledge passed through generations of yoga teachers. Robin's classes emphasize safety, breath, alignment, and movement, while teaching students ways to strengthen and lengthen their bodies to handle the stresses of our modern lifestyle. If you are coming to her as a patient, expect to be prescribed yoga!
Learn more about Dr. Armstrong at www.stayactive.ca
Other Blog Posts: